I haven’t been baking breads for a while, so I decided to bake hotdog buns on Saturday. I only made a few because I didn’t want to end up eating more than 3 buns. That strategy was effective; I ended up eating only one. I used my go-to recipe for ensaymada that I adapted from CookNShare. It’s an enriched dough, so I don’t use it often as I’m trying to cut down calories. And since I wanted to try something new, I looked for new cool ways to shape the buns and found some inspiration on Pinterest. So here goes:
Hotdog Buns Recipe
By Jannah Abueza
Prep Time: 2 hr. 20 min.
Cook Time: 15 Min
Ready In: 2 hr. 35 min
- 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 cup of bread flour or All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. active dry yeast
- 3 Tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup water, warm
- 1/4 cup milk ( or substitute with powdered milk dissolved in 1/4 cup water)
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbs. oil or melted butter
- 16 hotdogs
- Shredded mozarella cheese or any cheese you have on hand (optional)
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Mix together 1 Tbs of sugar, water and yeast. Set aside until the mixture is frothy and smells yeasty. This is to make sure your yeast is active and still works.
- Mix all your dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Beat your eggs and pour in on to the dry ingredients, then add your melted butter, milk and proofed yeast. Mix everything until is combined and come together. Now you’re ready for the fun part.
- In the bowl or on your board, knead the dough for 7-10 minutes or until it is smooth and bounces back when you poke it. You can also do the windowpane test like what is shown below.
- Pour some oil to your bowl and roll in the dough so it doesn’t form a fill on top. cover it with a towel or a cling wrap to lock the moisture in. Let it sit for 2 hours or until double in size in a warm place.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, punch it to release the air. Transfer it to your clean board or table and divide it in to 16 equal sizes.
- Peel your hotdogs and start shaping your hotdog buns as shown below. Top with shredded cheese or sesame seeds.
- Place your buns in your pan and cover with cling wrap or towels. Leave it for 15 minutes to an hour for a second rise or until doubled in size.
- Bake your buns for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown in 170C oven.
- Let it cool for a while before serving. Enjoy!
Shaping Your Dough
This is my first time to try to make flower-shaped buns, so mine is not perfect yet. I’m sure with more practice, I’ll improve.
This is the finished product:
Chinese-style Hotdog Buns
To make the Chinese-style hotdog buns, first you need to flatten the dough. Then roll it out to turn into a little strip like that in the middle photo in the collage. Then, flatten the strip again and roll it to the hotdog.
Do you have a new cool way to shape breads or tips? Please share them with me by commenting below.